Create my handmade heart pin to add some Valentine bling. Or attach the heart to a postcard. For this easy craft I use felt as the heart structure and add embellishments using embroidery thread, beads, more felt hearts, sequins, and even recycled jewelry. The dark pink heart uses medium-size pearl beads from a favorite bracelet that unfortunately broke one day. Instead of throwing away all those adorable beads I add a few here and there to craft projects. Easy peasy! See the complete directions below.
Step-by-step directions below.
Felt Heart Pins
- Felt in a variety of colors: I am using white, dark pink, and light pink
- Embroidery thread
- Safety pin or other fastener
- Bead and sequins: I use a variety of round beads and heart-shaped beads
- Recycled jewelry beads or parts
- Sewing tools: needle, scissors, fabric marker
- Small amount of poly fill to make the tiny heart pillows
- Cut 2 matching heart shapes for the front and back. (You can make your own pattern, my hearts are approximately 2.25" wide. Also, you can trace your heart shape onto the felt using a fabric marker.)
- Sew the two hearts together with embroidery thread using a straight stitch or blanket stich. For more help with the hand stitching, check out futuregirl's step-by-step tutorial for the Blanket Stitch and more sewing.
- Leave small opening in the side to add poly fill, and then finish the sewing the edges together.
- Add embellishments such as beads or additional felt shapes.
- Attach a safety pin or other fastener to the back.
>•< Connect on Facebook >•<
Here's a few other CRAFT TUTORIALS on my blog you might enjoy:
(I am delighted to have my images from this blog re-posted but please always credit MomathonBlog.com as the original source when re-posting to your blog, Pinterest, Tumblr, or any other site. Please also credit with a link back to MomathonBlog.com. Please ask permission before re-posting exact text, instructions, recipes, or diy's from MomathonBlog.com. Thank you.)