Turn your weekend into a creative weekend with a copy of Weekend Handmade featuring more than 40 projects and ideas for inspired living. Written by Kelly Wilkinson of the popular Make grow gather blog, the book includes an eclectic mix of projects in three sections: "Make offers projects to wear or decorate with; Grow presents projects inspired by gardens, fields, and farmers markets; and Gather spotlights projects that enrich casual get-togethers." You can find out how to make Kelly's Pressed Floral Luminaria project below.
What I like about this book:
- variety of craft skills covering paper crafts, sewing, gardening/outdoors
- each project includes step-by-step directions illustrated with splendid photos and line drawings
- can be completed in a few hours or over the course of a weekend
- unique "weekend" project ideas make this perfect book for both the experienced crafter and newbies
- useful resource section at the end of the book
Here are a few of my favorite page spreads from the book:
Winter Blossom Cowl
Adas Story Box
Botanical Note Cards
Pressed Flower Luminaria
Herbed Bath Salts and Shower Scrub
Tea Towel Apron
Author Kelly Wilkinson is a craft designer, blogger, and reporter/anchor for NPR in San Francisco. She also writes a monthly craft column for The Washington Post. Her craft projects have been featured in Sunset, Country Living, Design*Sponge and Apartment Therapy. You can follow Kelly Wilkinson on Twitter. And read her blog Make grow gather. Her blog has a wonderful archive of projects here.
Want to try one of her projects now? Here is the information for her Pressed Floral Luminaria.
- Foraged flowers or foliage, such as ferns, leaves, rock rose, and Queen Anne’s Lace (note that delicate flowers will dry faster than thicker flowers)
- Wax paper Japanese washi tape (paper tape)
- Votive candle in glass holder or battery-operated flameless LED tealight candle
- Paper towels
- Heavy books or a flower press
- Craft knife
- Clear acrylic grid ruler
- Self-healing cutting mat
- Iron and ironing board
Complete step-by-step directions by Kelly to make the luminaria panels and how to assemble the panels to make the luminaria lanterns here
Photos: Pages spreads from the book Handmade Weekend by Kelly Wilkinson.