This yummy twist on an Asian noodle dish is not your college ramen. I first saw a version of a shrimp and crispy noodle recipe on Rachael Ray. Due to my garlic allergy I created a new recipe and voila —something delicious with just the right amount of spice for your family. This recipe is broken down into three basic steps: Noodle Prep, Sauce Prep, and Shrimp/Pineapple/Green Beans Prep. If you are cooking with kids remember to supervise and assist with cooking in the skillet.
Pineapple Shrimp and Crispy Noodles
- One 10-oz package ramen noodles
- One 20-oz can pineapple chunks (save the juice for sauce)
- One 10-oz bag frozen cut green beans (thaw and pat dry)
- One pound bag of medium or large peeled/deveined shrimp
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 8 T canola oil
- Cook the ramen noodles according to package directions—you can add salt to water if you want.
- Drain noodles.
- Make noodle "cake" by pressing the noodles into a greased 9-inch (or larger) pan.
- Let the noodle cake cool.
- Heat 3 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully slide the noodle cake into skillet.
- Cook the cake until the noodles turn a light golden brown underneath—3-5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the cake and cook until golden brown—be careful not to burn the cake :)
Stir together in a medium bowl:
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup soy sauce (the amount you use depends on your taste buds)
- drain the pineapple chunks and set aside, use approximately 1/2 cup of juice for sauce (you can increase the juice amount if you want a sweeter sauce)
- 2 T oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper (use less if you use pepper flakes)
Shrimp, pineapple and green beans prep
- Heat 2 T oil over medium to high heat.
- Add the drained pineapple chunks and thawed green beans.
- Stir and cook until the pineapple is lightly brown on edges and beans begin to brown with small blisters. Be careful not to overcook.
- Transfer the mixture to a large plate.
- Add 1 T of oil to skillet.
- Add the shrimp and cook them until the meat begins to turn opaque white.
- Stir in the sauce.
- Add the pineapple and green bean mixture.
- Lower the heat and cook the mixture until the shrimp are fully done—opaque .
Suggestions fo serving the meal
- I like to divide the noodle cake into 4 sections first to make the meal easy to serve 4 people.
- Place a cake section on each dinner plate.
- Your family then can serve themselves the shrimp + green beans + pineapple mixture (I like to let the kids dish up their own meal because then they get exactly what they want. No more complaints :)
>•< Connect on Facebook >•<