Because I'm a doodler at heart, I love the decorating idea of adding chalkboard paint to a wall. This DIY idea makes the chalkboard portable, you can move the chalkboard you create around to different walls and different rooms. Easy peasy! I think the project is a fun accent for your child's bedroom or even the kitchen. This do-it-yourself paint project uses a Pottery Barn Kids frame and Benjamin Moore paints.
- 18 x 18" piece of sheet metal (Or select any size to be cut to fit your picture frame)
- Household vinegar
- Paint roller (small size, approx 6")
- Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Primer
- Benjamin Moore Chalkboard Paint
- 18" x 18" frame (Pottery Barn Kids frame is used in the video below)
2) Remove any grease on piece of sheet metal with ordinary household vinegar. Let the sheet dry.
3) Because sheet metal is a shiny and slick non-porous surface, you need to paint the metal with a primer like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Primer because it will adhere to non-porous surfaces.
4) After the primer dries, add a coat of chalkboard paint. Use long smooth strokes with a small paint roller. If you see any "lap lines" at the edges of your strokes of paint be sure to smooth the lines out with the roller.
5) Wait for the paint to dry and then add a second coat of chalkboard paint.
6) Let the painted metal dry thoroughly and then pop it into an 18" x 18" frame. Now it's ready to hang on the wall.
You can watch a DIY video created by Pottery Barn here: How To: Create a Magnetic Chalkboard with Benjamin Moore Paint and a Pottery Barn Kids frame.
More chalkboard ideas here: