As you know, I have a passion for helping shelter dogs find forever homes. I work with a local shelter as an adoption counselor. That's how I found out how rescue dogs can benefit from social media shout outs including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, blogs and Pinterest.
Facebook and Twitter were key to helping Benny the Chihuahua-mix pictured above find a forever home. Just by adding key hashtag information (eg., the name of the dog shelter, breed of dog, etc) helps potential adopters find the dogs on social media.
I used a basic photo editor on my iPhone (check out Phonto and InstaText apps) to add the name of the adoption organization to the photo of Betsy above and Amber at the top of this post.
Please join me and promote truly amazing dogs who desperately need to have a voice. If we work together we can help these dogs find homes.
And if you do,
I promise you will have a warm feeling
in your heart all day long!
Here's what you can do. Pictures get noticed. That's why I recommend sharing the dog photos via Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Flickr. Just make sure to include a link to the source and a hashtag explaining the photo. See the Instagram tips below.
1) If you like to take photos, grab your iPhone and stop by an adoption fair or go to your local animal shelter. (Adoption fairs are often held on Saturday afternoons at dog supply stores such as Wag n Wash, PetCo, and PetsSmart.)
2) Talk to the adoption counselors and snap some cute pics of the adoptable dogs—you can use Instagram or Flickr to enhance the photos if you want.
3) Post the photos on Facebook and Twitter, Pinterest or on your blog with a link to the animal shelter.
4) Include a search-able hashtag with the folowing information. Capitalizing the first letter of each word in your hashtags is critical for readability.
- breed of dog (eg., #Llab or #Dachshund)
- #AdoptDogs or #DogAdoption or #ShelterDogsAreTheBest
- name of the adoption organization (eg., #NationalMillDogRescue)
- if you want me to find your tweets or instagram photos, just add the hashtag #IHeartShelterDogs
Three ways to find RESCUE DOGS dogs to promote via social media about:
- You can visit adoption fairs, talk to the adoption counselors and take photos of dogs you want to help.
- Go to the shelter dog national listing at Petfinder.com. On this site you can search for dogs to promote on social media and get descriptions of the dogs, plus photos to include in your tweets and posts.
- Go online and visit the site of your local Humane Society or another reputable adoption organized. The groups that are fully accredited with a nonprofit status are the ones to promote. Check for the 501(c)(3) nonprofit status.
I am sharing special mommy hugs to all of you who help out. If you want, send me an email and I'll be sure to RT/LIKE your shout outs to help homeless dogs on social media.Thank you! xo Chris