Today I wanted to share a tutorial for a quick and easy Valentine's Day project. These Valentine's Day mini heart pins can be made with felt or fabric scraps you have on hand and they are oh so cute.
Pin it on a shirt to add some Valentine bling. Or attach the heart to a postcard. For this easy craft I used craft felt (or try any "Valentine-y" fabric scraps) as the heart structure. I added embellishments using embroidery thread, beads, more felt hearts, sequins, and even recycled jewelry. The darker pink heart used medium-size pearl beads from a favorite bracelet that unfortunately broke one day. Instead of throwing away all those adorable beads I added a few here and there to craft projects. Easy peasy! See the complete directions below.
Directions: Mini Heart Pins
- Felt in a variety of colors: I am using white, dark pink, and light pink
- Embroidery thread
- Safety pin or other fastener
- Bead and sequins: I use a variety of round beads and heart-shaped beads
- Recycled jewelry beads or parts
- Sewing tools: needle, scissors, fabric marker
- Small amount of poly fill to make the tiny heart pillows
- Create a heart shape pattern piece: You can draw the heart freehand--my hearts are approximately 2.25" wide. Or download my heart shape pdf here (Option-Click on macs). Cut out the paper heart shape to use as a pattern in step 3.
- Place the felt or other fabric you use on a table.
- Trace the paper heart shape pattern on the fabric using a fabric marker.
- Repeat step 3 to make the back side of the pin.
- Sew the two hearts together with embroidery thread using a straight stitch or blanket stich. For more help with the hand stitching. If you want a tutorial on blanket stitching, check out futuregirl's step-by-step tutorial for the Blanket Stitch and more sewing.
- Leave small opening in the side to add poly fill, and then finish the sewing the edges together.
- Add embellishments such as beads or additional felt shapes.
- Attach a safety pin or other fastener to the back with embroider thread.