Looking for a fun craft for Valentine's Day? This heart pin is easy to make. Wear the heart as a pin or attach the heart to a postcard to create a personalized Valentine's Day card. For this craft I use felt as the heart structure and add embellishments using embroidery thread, beads, more felt hearts, sequins, and even recycled jewelry.
The dark pink heart uses medium-size pearl beads from a favorite bracelet that unfortunately broke one day. Instead of throwing away all those adorable beads I add a few here and there to craft projects. Easy peasy! See the complete directions below.
For this craft I used craft felt (or try any "Valentine-y" fabric scraps) as the heart structure. I added embellishments using embroidery thread, beads, more felt hearts, sequins, and even recycled jewelry. The darker pink heart used medium-size pearl beads from a favorite bracelet that unfortunately broke one day. Instead of throwing away all those adorable beads I added a few here and there to craft projects. Easy peasy! See the complete directions below.
Directions: Mini Heart Pins
- Felt in a variety of colors: I am using white, dark pink, and light pink
- Embroidery thread
- Safety pin or other fastener
- Bead and sequins: I use a variety of round beads and heart-shaped beads
- Recycled jewelry beads or parts
- Sewing tools: needle, scissors, fabric marker
- Small amount of poly fill to make the tiny heart pillows
- Create a heart shape pattern piece: You can draw the heart freehand--my hearts are approximately 2.25" wide. Or download my heart shape pdf here (Option-Click on macs). Cut out the paper heart shape to use as a pattern in step 3.
- Place the felt or other fabric you use on a table.
- Trace the paper heart shape pattern on the fabric using a fabric marker.
- Repeat step 3 to make the back side of the pin.
- Sew the two hearts together with embroidery thread using a straight stitch or blanket stich. For more help with the hand stitching. If you want a tutorial on blanket stitching, check out futuregirl's step-by-step tutorial for the Blanket Stitch and more sewing.
- Leave small opening in the side to add poly fill, and then finish the sewing the edges together.
- Add embellishments such as beads or additional felt shapes.
- Attach a safety pin or other fastener to the back with embroider thread.
FIND MORE INSPIRATION ON MY VALENTINE'S DAY PINTEREST BOARD